Tuesday January 23, 1990 Hiero Ain't No Hero of Mine
...Simonides, on the other hand.
The informal first meeting of the POLS Floor Class on Xenophon's Hiero was held at the Candelight.
Not by candlelight....that would be weird, a bunch of nerds all standing around talking about philosophy with and old guy by candlelight.
Creepy and weird.
I mean The Candlelight. It is a bar in downtown DeKalb. Talking about DeKalb in terms of having a downtown is sort of weird. Also going to the Candlelight now that I am 21 is sort of weird. Maybe this whole thing is going to be weird whether I like it or not.
The stuff about Strauss and Kojev, I am going to skip completely. These folks are in love with Leo Staruss. Maybe there is something to it, maybe there isn't. But I am not joining some bookish cult. That is not what I went there to do.
Oh, I wasn't specific the other day when I first mentioned the floor class. I think a loooong way back I said that Jen O's beloved Prof Frisch was offering something I was planning on attending.
This is not that.
This class is being led by someone named Sorrenson. He is also one of these political theory guys. WWII, University of Chicago, went there on the GI Bill after the war. Jen gave me all this info after drinks at the Candlelight over more drinks at Susan's house.
No matter what comes from all this, the drinking seems to be more productive.