This is NOT Over

Here is a life in desperate need of a rimshot

February 06, 2012

 
Tuesday Feb 6, 1990 His Voice is Deep My Ass

Met with Haliczer about my Post-Renaissance Spain project. He is so smug. Who brings an amplifier to a seminar class?

His voice is deep, my ass.

I half-expected him to use it at our meeting in his office.

Strangely, I really like him and will take any class he offers (so long as it falls on a Tuesday or Thursday)

What else was strange?

Oh, last night...I wasn't quite through with that. I am writing this all at once so forgive me.

Last night, Note asked me a ton of questions about the Xenophon class and Prof...er, Mr S. and the people from the POLS floor. Note is here to be an actuary or some sort of numbery guy, which, as a baseball fan, I can totally respect. I told him 'these folks don't seem to like stats and numbers'

I tried to be all smart and quote some stuff from Strauss' "Making the Human Sciences More Human"

Note said, "Maybe Strauss doesn't have a problem with numbers or anything like that, just those who argue that all we can talk about in the social sciences must be absolutely grounded in mathematical models or must be testable, repeatable and falsifiable."

He makes a good point. Maybe he will start showing up. Some of the people in the Xenophon class come off as fairly conservative and at a place like this (NIU) there is such a thing as conservative-by-association which I am fine with...and no one will ever believe of me.

But Note?

Well maybe that's what this campus needs in the wake of the Nation of Islam claptrap...some black conservatives.

Ok, now I probably should take responsibility for white ignorance and just plain ignorant ignorance.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

January 2011   September 2011   October 2011   November 2011   December 2011   January 2012   February 2012   March 2012   April 2012   May 2012   June 2012   July 2012  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]