Sunday April 22, 1990
Listening to It and Loving It
SOX lose. In the only inning worthy of note,
offensively that is, Jermaine Jackson aka Sammy Sosa drove in a run with a
sacrifice fly. If you’re going to have a
speedy outfielder whose speed and defense are just ok at best they better be
able to do things with the bat. A sac
fly is a nice start.
What do I know from
baseball? As much as I love watching the
game I wasn’t much of a player and never played it at a high level. Why do I think I know so much? I don’t even possess enough second hand
knowledge of the game to say the things I say.
I’ve only had one conversation in my entire fucking life with a real
baseball player about real baseball shit.
Future generations of
baseball fans will most likely not know the name of Ron Coomer. I know him because he was a few years ahead
of me at Lockport High. I used to moon
around after his kid sister. Is moon the
proper term? There’s another thing I
don’t know. Add it to the list!
Anyway I ran into Coomer last
year at TnT’s. I bought him a beer and
told him he was the best baseball player I ever saw at the high school
level. That was not bullshit. It’s an old cliché but you could not tell from
his face if the team was up by five runs, down by two, if he just made a
throwing error or hit a three run homer.
He was nice enough to talk to
me as we drank the beer. He is still in
the minors but described the difference between baseball at this level and what
most of us did as kids. “When we were
kids it was just see the ball and hit it.
Now there are calculations that go off with different pitchers,
different situations and sometimes with each pitch and then you have to turn
all of that off and just try to see the ball and hit it.”
Devin made me a Husker
tape. I am listening to it and loving it
as I write this.