This is NOT Over

Here is a life in desperate need of a rimshot

May 16, 2012

 

Friday May 11 through Wed May 16, 1990 Margaret Without Sleeves

Lots of sad and dull shit happened as the semester ended and shit crawled toward summer.  Note stopped over early Friday to say he wouldn’t be coming back to NIU.  He gave me a book to give to Megs.  It was Longstreet’s Chicago book, full of portraits of the famous and the infamous.  Note said she was always flipping through the book at his place and he wanted her to have it.

I asked him, “Why did things end with you two?”

He answered me with this question, “Have you seen Margaret without sleeves?”

My folks were so helpful and understanding with all the stuff I claimed I had to do and why I’d only be home for the weekend.  They helped me move the shit out of 516 and we actually had a fun weekend together in Lockport.  My dad and I ate Archie’s pizza and fried chicken, drank tons of beer and didn’t argue about politics once.  I don’t know where my sister was.  Maybe her school is going a bit longer.

Returned to DK after the weekend with virtually no stuff and crashed with Danny.  Megs came up on Tuesday and treated us to a big dinner.  She must’ve done ok on the Derby.  Steaks and Brandy Alexanders at Matthew Boones until all of us felt like puking.

We picked up where we left off early on Wednesday.  Rum and cokes with lunch and for the rest of the day.  Sometime after 11pm I realized we were out of cigarettes.  I volunteered to go down to the Get ‘n Go or whatever it is called to get some more.  When I returned Megs and Danny were screaming at each other.

Megs stopped screaming when she heard me close the door.  She asked, “Did you get cigarettes?”

“Yes.”

“Then we’re leaving,” and she hustled out the door and down the stairs.

I shrugged at Danny and he said, “Seriously, don’t let her go by herself.  She’s in bad shape.  You saw her all day.”

Megs was slumped on the sidewalk in front of the apartment.  I handed her a cigarette and asked, “Are you ok?”

“I want to go home,” Megs said.  I lit her smoke.  She breathed in, exhaled and mumbled. “I can’t be out here tonight.”

I couldn’t let he go by herself.  We got in the Shitlomat and sat there for as long as it took for Megs to fumble with her sister’s keys and get them in the ignition.  I wondered if this might be my last ride out of town.

Megs set the car in motion at a clip of 20mph or less heading west on 38.  I didn’t want to tell her we were going the wrong way.  It might break her concentration.

We matriculated through campus on our drunken drive.  We headed west, toward Malta and she slowed down even more.  “I can’t see anything but stars out here,” she said.

“The road is somewhere below all that,” I said, lighting another cigarette with the Shitlomat’s bent and hot and unnecessarily large cigarette lighter.

At some point we veered, no, that would suggest we were going much faster than we were…we rolled into a ditch.  We certainly didn’t crash.  The car simply settled in the ditch because that’s where it was headed.  Megs leaned against me.  I tried to find a radio station for us.  No luck.  I think we passed out to static

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

January 2011   September 2011   October 2011   November 2011   December 2011   January 2012   February 2012   March 2012   April 2012   May 2012   June 2012   July 2012  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]