Saturday May 5, 1990 Bill and
Roger and Me and Me
Ate lunch with AM. She said, “Sarah is with my
family tonight. I need to go out and do
something vulgar. What do you think?”
I think I was honored she
made this declaration to me during our lunch so I said, “I’m honored, I think.”
Fucked off the
afternoon. Then Bill and me went to see
Roger and Me.
If half the stuff in that
movie is even partly for real (and not “put on” for the cameras) then things
are twice as bad for industrial America than I originally thought. Bear in mind that any assessments I make tend
to begin with the position that things are, in general, pointing down.
It’s a stupid position, but
then I am a stupid man. Actually the
position is as venerable as it is stupid which probably makes it even more
stupid. There may be a sense in which
people in general think things are going down the tubes in their time, no
matter what that time may be or how good/bad things were before their time. So maybe it’s not me. Maybe everyone is stupid. That is my one great hope.
After Roger And Me, Bill and
me picked up AM. We got our
silly and lily white asses over to Andy’s to see Howard and the White
Boys. While that band has accomplished
more in music than I have, everything they do is sort of the same. Every song, original or cover comes off as
just above competent with no chance of anything spectacular ever happening at
one of their shows. I came to the show
because Amy and Marie love the band and because AM wanted to do
something vulgar. Those girls do vulgar
with style and can probably help my friend accomplish her goals expressed
earlier in the day. At bottom, AM is a classy girl who deserves vulgarity of the highest quality.
Anyhow, we got her really,
really, really drunk. That was either
not enough “reallys” or one “really too many.
As per usual, I was too drunk to have my account be considered
trustworthy. I am also too illiterate
to invoke appropriate adjectives and try to insert “reallys” in the hope they
convey something.
I really should stop with the
self-criticism. It is annoying to even
me now. I will try to eliminate some of
the self-deprecation….beginning…now.
Back to the story. Everybody got drunk and AM was extra
drunk. Too drunk for me to deal with at
the bar. I’m usually too drunk for me to
deal with at the bar and I can’t handle too of us. Bill took her home. He is still the greatest man.
I wanted to assess my chances
of possible vulgarities with Amy, or at least try to find out what happened in
my room the other night. I went to the
bar to get a round for Aim Dog and Marnie and got waylaid by Note and some of
his friends on the way back to our table.
I didn’t even think to ask him about Megs or PSBFH or really
anything. I was completely focused on
the person I wanted to be focused on at the bar…me and my sad desire.
Did I already violate my new
self-deprecation rule?
By the time I got back to the
table, Amy was at the other end of the bar kissing some guy.
Between sets I talked to the
guy who was the piano guy for Howard and the White Boys. He was filling in for one of the regular
White Boys that night. I figured that
out because he was black. Usually Howard
is the only black guy with the White Boys.
I’m not judging anyone or anything.
It is just an observation. The
fill-in guy was also better than anyone I’ve seen play with that band. He claimed that his main gig was being the
fill-in piano guy for Buddy Guy. He was
the best musician I’ve ever seen close up and has to take as many part-time
gigs as possible and ends up talking to jerks like me in jerk bars like
this. Maybe the blues is even rougher
than it looks. But I have my own
problems.
Went back to our table one
last time and Amy was still kissing that guy.
I’m pretty sure it was the same guy.
I went and drank someplace else.
Then I drank at the Candlelight.
Then I pointed myself toward the stupid dorms. Then I got a hold of AM. Then something that really should not have
happened, happened.
I think.