This is NOT Over

Here is a life in desperate need of a rimshot

June 04, 2012

 

Monday June 4, 1990 What Is…Regarding Socrates

Found something much better to do with my life than worry about girls.

Frisch begun our sessions by turning my opinion of Socrates on its head.  For the sake of this class, I am going to try and forget this notion that’s been forced down my throat that Socrates the man is the inventor of a method of teaching that good teachers imitate.  We know nothing of the real Socrates.  For our purposes this summer, reading the Apology, the Crito and Aristophanes’ play The Clouds, the real Socrates is irrelevant.

We are to forget the notion we may have picked up in other classes about these books that Socrates equals perfect wisdom, and every word from the character of Socrates represents the author’s view of what is best always and everywhere.  In most of the dialogues Socrates is one of a few, or sometimes many characters.  In no other book, besides the Gospels, do we think that one character speaks the absolute truth and everyone else is either a witness or an evildoer.

Authors use all the characters, the setting, the plot and the words of all speakers to illustrate a larger point.  The views of the author, or what the author thinks is good, or the point, or whatever is found in the totality of the story, not just things that come from one character.

After class, Frisch and I had the following conversation…

Me: I’ve never heard Socrates presented in this way before
MF: I am not surprised.
Me: How did you come to interpret stories about Socrates in this way?
MF: I didn’t develop this interpretation if that’s what you mean.
Me: Where does it come from?  Mr. Strauss?
MF: Mr. Strauss certainly talked about some of the things we’ve discussed today.  But this way of reading serious books has been around as long as the books themselves.
Me: Well how come this is the first I’ve ever heard of it?
MF: That is a good question.  How is your friend?
Me: Bad, I think.  I’m sure she’s not coming back to town any time soon.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

January 2011   September 2011   October 2011   November 2011   December 2011   January 2012   February 2012   March 2012   April 2012   May 2012   June 2012   July 2012  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]