Saturday June 30, 1990 Cousin
Trouble
Too many damn 7&7’s with
Megs and her mom last night. Went with
Megs to Zupec’s Truck Parts and returned her grandpa’s car. Cranked up some Mars Needs Guitars on the
way. Uncle Larry’s deck kicks ass! Megs certainly has better taste in music than
Susan but not quite as good as the two I/Eileens.
We brought the keys into the
office. Uncle Larry looked up at Megs
and asked, “You didn’t smash up Grandpa’s car did ya Pinky Tuscadero?”
“I think that was Leather
Tuscadero,” said Megs.
Uncle Larry was right. It was Pinky.
It doesn’t matter.
“What the hell happened up in
DeKalb? You crashed your sister’s car in
the middle of a cornfield of something?” Uncle Larry asked as he lit a
cigarette.
“Something like that
Grandpa,” said Megs, quietly.
“What were you doing during
all this gugutz?” Uncle Larry asked as
he shook the pack of Chesterfields at me.
I slid one out, thanked him
and said, “I was just along for the ride.”
“I bet you were,” he said as
smoke trickled out both nostrils.
The three of us smoked and
threw out the kinds of topics odd groups always talk about when they don’t have
much to say to each other. ‘How about
that thing…?’ ‘Have you seen…?’ ‘Whatever happened to…?’ Then Uncle Larry wanted to take his youngest
granddaughter to lunch and I didn’t want to eat another meal with the old man,
at least not so soon after the last one.
March, I think. I can wait to have our next dinner and talk
until March…1997!
I borrowed the office phone
and called Danny. He was in town for the
old parish picnic. His mother would kill him if he didn’t come. He seemed glad for an excuse to get out of
the house for an hour, so he came to the truck parts yard and gave me a ride to
Cousin Mike’s house.
Cousin Mike and I relaxed and
listened to a Wimple Witch record he picked up earlier in the day. Don’t know how relaxed you can be with the
sound of that bass in the middle of your skull but we tried.
Mike wasn’t interested in
going across the street to St. Joe’s Park.
I guess he can legitimately say he wouldn’t cross the street to drink
beer with some of the bums I knew growing up around here. He is my classy cousin and I am sort of proud
of him.
I walked over to the park
around 5:30pm. Ronnie and Jimmy were
already stationed in front of the beer pavilion. Jimmy was, and I’m sure would be the only
person at St. Joe’s Park in military garb that weekend. It’s not something that guys are all that
proud of around here, uniform of any variety suggest marching band or ROTC and
those things suggest NERD! Not to me,
but to folks I know and don’t have much respect for…
Jimmy did not give a shit
about what people thought of him in uniform or him in general. That’s one of the reasons I liked him. He wore his fatigues with his thick, black
crew cut, smoked Winstons and said he did because he heard Fred Flintstone
smoked them and was more than a little overweight. He was the only guy who could join the service, already sort of fat, gain weight by the end of training camp and
somehow convince the drill masters they produced another killing machine.
“I bought my brother a bottle
of Johnnie Walker to celebrate. You’ll
come back for a drink after we’re done here,” said Ronnie.
Sometimes experience
demonstrates the old expressions are quite right. Beer before liquor, never a good idea for me
so I drank hi balls the rest of the evening.
They are so weak at the park. I
think all drinks there have to be weak-ass drinks by local ordinance. I didn’t care. I felt like I was doing the right thing…
…or I was the poor man’s
Andrew Patch with a vowel at the end of his name, or I don’t know what.
“Where’s Megs?” I asked.
“She didn’t come with you?”
Ronnie shot back.
“I left her with your
grandpa. They were going to have
lunch. I assumed he’d drop her at your
house and she’d come with you,” I explained.
Some shitty band started
playing, Ronnie went for cigarettes and Jimmy wandered off to talk to some guy
he blocked for in high school. JCH is a
cult around here. Not to me. I will always be more of a
baseball/basketball guy. Definitely not
a football guy and definitely not a JCH guy.
Fuck those brown-clad fanny pinchers.
What? The point is, I was the only person from this
whole damned crowd to go to public school, and while I’m not exactly proud of
that, I’m glad I’m not them. Clear or
not, I’m moving on with the story of our evening at St. Joe’s Park.
Saw Patty and Annette and
their cousin Krista. Patty and Annette
only said “hi” and then went to the sausage/food pavilion. They were volunteering for the festivities. Where’s the fun in that? Krista was just dropping them off before she
had to work at Salerno’s. She asked me
to walk with her to her car so we could catch up, and even though I haven’t
seen Krista in a year it is entirely possible that we could catch up on
anything of interest in our lives in a five minute walk to her car.
Krista asked me how I was
doing and then told me a bunch of shit about herself. Salerno’s was going great guns even though,
according to her, the owner was trying to bang her. She just about had enough money to go back to
school in the fall. Then she asked me a
thousand questions about Zupecs, mostly Ronnie.
She thought she was one of Ronnie’s legitimate ex-girlfriends when
really all she was was someone Ronnie fucked in order to scratch her off a list
of “girls from St. Joe’s he always wanted to fuck.” I didn’t bother telling Krista that. Why should I be the one to break the
spell? After the flurry of Zupec family
related questions, Krista said some really disturbing things about Megs and who
she hangs out with since she left CSF. I
don’t know why Krista told me this shit.
I don’t know what she knows about Megs and me, probably nothing. I know Megs hated her guts (as much as Megs
could hate anyone’s guts) since they were in grade school together.
Then she talked about John
Roepke and his cousin. They are a coupla
dirty, fucking junkies I used to know and still hate. Now of course, I only associate with the
highest caliber of shit shooters and/or snorters. The more I think about it, there are a lot of
troubled, shitty cousins in this story.
John R is a piece of shit for sure, but his cousin is a thousand times
worse. Patty and Annette’s cousin Krista
is a total bitch…the only cousin in this story worth a damn is Cousin Mike and
he is the only one with enough decency not to be here.
And then Krista went on to
tell me how she saw Megs at some party on the East Side making out with one of
the Roepkes in the yard by the keg and sleeping with the other cousin in the
coat room and I don’t know if it’s real and at some points I couldn’t even make
out what Krista was saying. I assume it
was some sort of moral outrage but it literally made no sense to me, not in
this context. This girl had this thing
where she’d speak fast and then slow down substantially and then speed up
suddenly, for no reason at all. She was
like a fucked up cassette. By the way,
this is exactly how she gives head and I am not proud to say I know this from
both second hand sources and personal experience. I’m just glad this evening never went this
way. Once we got to her car, Krista
leaned her butt against the driver side and got comfortable because she wanted
to keep talking about Megs and how she heard she went down on a black guy at a
party while people were in the room. I
watched Krista’s lips move fervently as she told this last story. I could tell she enjoyed it and I sort of
enjoyed it too, especially hearing her whisper “going down” when there was no
need to whisper. We were the only damn
people in this part of the parking lot.
I thought about the first time she and I made out in Ferdinand
Hall. She was flat-chested and bitey,
and it was a sorry junior high make out session. Krista told me being here reminded her why
she went vegan and how St. Joe’s Park smelled terrible and she still couldn’t
believe Patty and Annette convinced her to even give them a ride to this place.
She pulled a pack of Marlboro
Light 100s from her silver and purple handbag.
I lit her cigarette and she said, “Thanks Eddie,” kissed me on the cheek
and left.
That bitch.
Walked back inside the park
to look for Megs, even though I knew she wasn’t coming. Jimmy and Ronnie were playing the wheel and
smoking cigarettes with Fr. Dave. Father
left St. Joe’s a few years back but he is always at the park for the annual
picnic. He was the coolest priest I ever
met. The younger crowd loved him because
he had long hair and smoked, the old Slovenians loved him because he spoke
their language, had a beautiful singing voice and drank Slivovitz.
He put his arm around me and
asked, “Where’s Margaret?”
“My mom will be here
tomorrow,” I answered but I’m sure he meant Megs. Everyone who knows my mom calls her Marge or
Margie.
The Zupecs told Father their
sister was MIA but might be here later.
“How are things at school
Eddie?” Father asked, “Are you home for summer?”
“No, I am taking classes.”
“What are you studying these
days?” Father asked.
“The history of political
philosophy,” I said.
Then from behind us, the guy
running the wheel called out, “Three lovely deuces.”
Father was playing deuces so three
quarters were added to the one he laid down on the 2. I wanted to ask why he didn’t play 3 for the
Holy Trinity but Father Dave’s at the wheel so much he probably has to mix
things up once in a while.
Some more shit bands played
as we all drank and ate smokies. Saw a
few more people I hadn’t seen in awhile.
We stayed until St. Joe’s Park closed for the night and Megs never
showed up. Ronnie and Jimmy invited me
to walk with them back to their mom’s house.
They walked, I stumbled.
The first thing I did when we
arrived was to look in Megs room. I
called out, “She’s in here sleeping.”
Ronnie broke out the bottle
of whiskey and we all had a shot before more of Jimmy’s friends from JCH showed
up. We were all drinking, Jimmy and
Ronnie were being pretty loud with the football friends. I was content to sit quietly on the
couch. At some point Megs emerged from
her room and sat down next to me. I put
my arm around her and asked if she wanted a drink. She shook her head.
“These two,” said Jimmy at about
3 in the morning, “I wouldn’t like Posega at all if it wasn’t for my
sister. One time him and Megs were in
the truck parts yard after hours. You
guys remember what you were doing in there?”
We shook our heads, but we
both remembered why we snuck into Zupec’s Truck Parts on the night in question.
“Anyhow,” Jimmy continued
loudly, “These kids sneak in the truck parts yard, they’re in high school or
some shit like that. Grandpa’s meanest
fucking dog back then…uh, Lenny?”
“Larry,” said Megs.
“Your grandpa called him
Larry Jr. because he said that dog was the only thing alive as tough as he
was,” I added.
“Yeah, Larry,” said Jimmy,
“Larry comes out of his house and barks his ass off at these two and runs
straight for them. My sister tells me
later she freaked out, grabbed a brick or something…”
“A carburetor,” Megs
corrected him.
“She grabs a carburetor and
smashes the fucking dog’s face in. They
run home to me and I said ‘Oh shit. You
better tell Grandpa what you did. People
will lose their fucking jobs or get their asses handed to him.’ You know that’s how much Grandpa Larry loved
that mean dog and loves his shit in general.
So they go in there the next day.
I’m unloading some shit and I see Eddie and my sister come into Grandpa
Larry’s office looking all sad and I think ‘Oh shit, it’s really gonna happen
now. So I quit doing what I’m doing and go inside because I wanna hear
this. The dog’s dead by now, right? He wasn’t smashed up or hanging on or
anything, right?”
“Yeah, Megs killed him,” I
said, “We knew before we left. That’s
how we knew we were fucked.”
“Yeah,” Jimmy continued,
putting out his cigarette, “They go into the office to tell Grandpa what
happened and before the girl can say anything Eddie tells Grandpa Larry that he
smashed Larry Jr. in the face and killed him and he was so sorry and he was
going to buy him a new dog or give the shop money or whatever he wanted.”
“Why did you tell him you did
it?” Ronnie asked.
“Partly because I didn’t want
your sister to get in trouble and partly because I didn’t want your Grandpa to
think Megs had to save me, even though that’s what she did,” I said.
“Yeah, when Larry Jr. almost
bit you, you peed your pants,” said Megs.
Everybody laughed. I said, “Animals are unpredictable. That dog scared the fucking shit out of
me. And I did kick it in the face after
Megs hit it with the carburetor.”
“Just to make sure it stayed
down,” said Megs.
Everybody laughed more.
Jimmy continued, “So Eddie
and my Grandpa are standing in the middle of the office. Grandpa asks him ‘What the fuck were you guys
doing in the yard out there in the middle of the night’ and…what did you tell
him?”
I said, “We were just being
kids or something like that.”
“Yeah,” said Jimmy, “He says
that and Uncle Larry freaks out and screams in his face and starts bumping and
shoving him around the office. I’ve seen
him do that to big guys, real guys who fucked up in the truck parts business or
guys who Grandpa thought were stealing from him. I’ve seen him break those pieces of shit
down, begging him to stop. We’re all
scared in the shot that Grandpa Larry is going to beat the shit out of this
skinny, fucking kid with stupid hair.
And even this one,” Jimmy pointed at Megs, “…this one looks
worried. Nothing ever gets to her and
she’s looking scared. Posega just takes
it. Finally Grandpa shoves him against
the wall, almost right through it.”
“The walls are pretty thin
and shitty in that office,” I said.
“Yeah, but still,” said
Jimmy, “Anyway he gets shoved against the wall and I think slapped first. Grandpa’s face is all red and mad and he’s
breathing hard and this guy pulls out his smokes like it’s a cigarette break in
the ass-whoopin’ and Grandpa leans against his desk and says in a quiet voice,
‘Get the fuck out of my office’ and they leave.
That old bastard has beat me until I cried and my brother too and we
never killed his dog. This guy never
goes down even though Grandpa Larry is shoving him and slapping him pretty
hard.”
“I don’t think he slapped me
Jimmy,” I said
“I
wonder why he didn’t slap you?” Ronnie
asked.
“I think your Grandpa was
just getting older and figured he was too old for this shit, there was no point
in kicking my ass so he quit.”
“Maybe that’s it,” said
Jimmy, “You know we never seen him grab anyone in the office after that. You may’ve been the last guy who ever got the
business from Grandpa.”
“I guess I’m honored,” I
said.
“What did you do about the
dog?” Jimmy’s friend from the football team asked.
“I got their cousin Danny to
go to the pound or some shelter to get me a new dog for the shop,” I said.
“Why Danny?” Ronnie asked.
“Because it was his idea to
go to the truck parts yard that night,” said Megs, yawning, “We had some
alcohol and no place to drink it. Danny
convinced us to hop the fence and that’s when all the bad stuff happened.”
“So you covered up for Megs
and Danny?” Ronnie asked.
“I guess there was no need to
get Danny involved since he was the first one to run away. He didn’t know what happened to the dog. But since he didn’t have to eat shit from
Uncle Larry, and it was his dumb-ass idea in the first place I said ‘Why don’t
you find him a dog? The last time my
family got a dog I was three.’ I didn’t
know how to get a dog or what sort of dog your grandpa would like.”
“He’s still got the dog,”
said Ronnie.
“Yeah, I saw it there today,”
I said, “Cindy right? I think that’s
what the dish said.”
“Yeah,” said Ronnie, “He
loves that fucking dog even though it’s the biggest pushover. Doesn’t do shit to protect the yard at night
and it’s even afraid to fight the cat.”
“End of an era in the truck
yard. No more mean-ass dogs,” Jimmy
said.
“Why’d he name the dog
Cindy,” I asked.
“Grandpa doesn’t like dog
names,” said Megs.
“Oh, well that makes sense,”
I answered.
Then we all drank whiskey and
listened to Double Trouble. Jimmy and
Ronnie love that stuff. Weird day, weird
night.