This is NOT Over

Here is a life in desperate need of a rimshot

June 07, 2012

 

Thursday June 7, 1990 Why Remove Ourselves

Left Megs in Danny’s place this morning.  Maybe she’ll steal everything that isn’t nailed down or maybe she’ll just sleep it off.  Maybe Danny will come back, find her there and lose his fucking mind.  I can’t control what happens.  I’m just glad she came to see me.

I am now understanding a bit more about why Frisch suggests that we remove ourselves from contemporary opinions regarding Socrates.  It is not simply to give us the chance to consider this other, older and presumably better interpretation.  The superiority of this or any interpretation in and of itself is worthless according to Frisch.

The older interpretation of these books, and what they can help us see about our contemporary circumstances, and maybe about what is true always and everywhere, is the valuable thing in our endeavors this summer.

This has been a beautiful four-day introduction to our summer class.  I need it now more than ever.  It might also be fair to say I need it more than anyone else in the class.

None of these bastards look to be as balls deep in modernity as I am.  A man should be able to wonder about and/or criticize a thing he is balls deep in, or he is as good as dead.  I may still be as good as dead, but there’s no sense in not fighting it.  What else do I have to do these days?

After reading the last paragraph I should see if there are any English/writing classes that will take me this summer.  I know I said I’d knock it off with the self-deprecating remarks, but this isn’t self-deprecation.  It’s real awareness that I paragraph I composed really, really sucks.  This one ain’t shaping up so great either.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

January 2011   September 2011   October 2011   November 2011   December 2011   January 2012   February 2012   March 2012   April 2012   May 2012   June 2012   July 2012  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]