This is NOT Over

Here is a life in desperate need of a rimshot

June 06, 2012

 

Wed June 6, 1990 Unmentionables

Woke up and drank coffee with Danny.  Helped him load up his car with laundry and other shit he was taking back to Joliet.  As soon as he left I called Megs.

Another great Intro to Political Philosophy class with Frisch.  We are going to spend a great deal of time on the Apology, but Mr. Frisch is encouraging all of us to read the Clouds first.  Just knowing the critique exists is a start, but understanding the character of this and other critiques of Socrates helps the modern reader remove themselves from contemporary interpretations and prejudices regarding Socrates.

I notice that Mr. Frisch and others say “Plato’s Socrates” or “Xenohon’s Socrates” and I think I have more of a sense of what is meant when they say that.  As far as Aristophanes’ play and its Socrates, Mr. Frisch explained that many 19th Century philologists would have us believe that the Clouds is a critique of the sophists and that the poet uses the name “Socrates” as the sophist par excellence.  But there is no reason to believe that to be true at all.

Protagoras, Gorgais, and other names I can’t remember or can’t spell were known sophists.  Aristophanes did not choose their names for this play.  He chose Socrates.  He chose the name of someone who, at least according to other dialogues, seemed to be engaged in activities and a lifestyle different from those of the sophists.  Socrates did not except pay for teaching.  He was poor and walked around barefoot.  The Socrates in the Clouds, in many ways, resembles the Socrates depicted in the works of Plato and Xenophon and neither of those authors are thought to use the name “Socrates” as a way of criticizing the sophists.  Why should we think Aristophanes is criticizing the sophists with his Socrates?

That is a good question.

Megs met me at Founders after class in her mom’s Town Car.   I asked her, “What’s Gina driving?”

“She has one of Grandpa’s cars.”

Went back to Danny’s place and found his stash…of Coco Pebbles and chocolate milk.  Ok, Megs found it.  Danny’s mistake.  You should never leave stuff like that where sugar junkies can get their goddamned hands on it.  But eating all that chocolate made this day so much fun for Megs and me.  At one point we were running around the apartment, chasing each other and laughing like some old timey, penny arcade movie where boys and girls chase each other but no one ever fucks.  Megs took my backpack and started throwing stuff around.  Then she found the Everett “Relative State” paper.

MRZ: “Do you know what this is?”
Me:    “I don’t understand that much of it.”
MRZ: “Then why do you have it?”
Me:    “People can have things they don’t understand.  It’s a free country.”
MRZ: “They can have stuff like this if they have a place to keep it.”
Me:    “I have the backpack.”

Then she talked about the equations, not so much in a way that I could understand how they represent the realities and mysteries of the very small, but why this representation is important, why the model they seek to correct needs correction and that both the mysteries of the very big and very small are still only poetic descriptions of our fate in terms of what happens to the universe as a result of gravity either finally pulling everything back together, or gravity become so weak everything fades into eternal emptiness (the study of all life in terms of the very big, the universe as a whole and heavenly bodies and their motion); and also how the specific equations in the Hugh Everett’s paper suggest the many fates of individuals in terms of outcomes, how all matter and even beings obey the same laws as electrons whose definite position in the universe may be difficult not to say impossible to measure by conventional means.

Sure, a lot of what she said may have been bullshit, but I was a willing audience and loved hearing her talk this much.

We got so drunk at Matthew Boone’s we forgot to order dinner.  I am so glad we came there on a night Marnie was not working.  I might’ve been rude.  I don’t even think I need to move back there at this point.  The Summer Conference Center job starts Monday and housing said my room would be ready the Friday before.

We did all sorts of stuff back at Danny’s place and then spread out on his couch in our unmentionables.  At one point I think Megs asked, “Could you change the channel darling?”

Nobody’s ever called me darling.  I am pretty sure Megs never used the word in her life.  Maybe it was an ironic darling.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

January 2011   September 2011   October 2011   November 2011   December 2011   January 2012   February 2012   March 2012   April 2012   May 2012   June 2012   July 2012  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]